THIS SUNDAY, 4/25
- Sammy continues his sermon series on the family. This Sunday, he teaches what the Bible says about divorce.
- Our Youth Pastor Search Team begins meeting – pray for them.
- Quarterly Business Meeting @ 5pm.
ON THE HORIZON
- Prayer Warriors Dinner – May 5th; 6pm; FLC
- Daniel records that during his prayer, “The angel I had seen in the earlier vision (Gabriel) came in swift flight. He said, ‘Daniel, as soon as you began to pray an answer was given.” (9:23)
- Mary, Queen of Scots, said of Reformer John Knox, “I fear the prayers of John Knox more than an army of 10,000 men.”
- In his book, Prayer: Does It Make a Difference, Philip Yancey writes, “Why pray? Because Jesus prayed. And he prayed as though it made a difference.”
- May 19th; 6pm – Ministry Event off campus (potentially Nat Williams Elementary)
- May 26th; 6pm – Ministry Event on campus
THE ART OF WELCOMING & THE 7 LAWS – LAW NO. 1
- THANK YOU for joining me this past Sunday! I have already sent you all the Student Notes. But, so you might have access to those notes online, I posted them on my blog, where scriptures and references are sourced and linked. You can access them here.
- In August, we’ll reconvene to sort through the next few Laws: Expectation, Application & Retention.
HOW GREAT THOU ART
This photo below is of galaxy cluster Abell 2218 as imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope. The massive cluster contains about 10,000 galaxies, and resides 2 billion light-years away in the constellation Draco. Credit: NASA
Oh Lord, my God; When I, in awesome wonder, Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made. I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed. Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee, How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
FREEDOM FROM RELIGION
Please don’t believe everything you read online. Especially stuff like this:
[Religion is nothing more than] “myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.” FFRF (Freedom From Religion Foundation)
Frankly, I couldn’t agree more with the FFRF. Why? Because they completely misinterpret the soul and message of the Christian faith. As a result, they’ve confused religion with Christianity. Let’s clear this up, ok?
Aren’t you glad that Christianity, as opposed to ‘religion’:
- isn’t based on myth but on actual history?
- isn’t based on superstition but on actual eye-witness testimony?
- doesn’t harden the human heart but softens it?
- doesn’t enslave the mind but liberates it?
Biblical Christianity isn’t based on religion (man’s pursuit of God), but on Christ (God’s pursuit of man). There’s a huge difference.
We are saved not by rules, but by relationship – a relationship made possible by the Cross and the Empty Tomb. nw
COURAGE BEGETS COURAGE
I rarely, if ever, post politically on social media. Consequently, what you read below is not a political statement – it’s a biblical one.
As I was doing research on the insanity of ideologies such as Critical Race Theory this past week, I posted the following on social media. (you can read the article that prompted by post here)
More and more, I find people afraid to stand up for truth for fear of ‘retribution by the mob.’
As corrupt politicians grandstand, placating to the noise of chaos, and as philosophical garbage continues to be shoved down the throats of the masses, I can promise you this: you will never find me shrinking from standing boldly for that which I hold to be biblically true.
From the article reference above:
“Above all, we must have courage – the fundamental virtue required in our time. Courage to stand and speak the truth. Courage to withstand [pejorative] epithets. Courage to face the mob. Courage to shrug off the scorn of elites. When enough of us overcome the fear that currently prevents so many from speaking out, the hold of [force-fed political ideologies] will begin to slip. Courage begets courage.”
The reformer, Martin Luther, who knew well the courage required for standing for freedom and truth, said,
“Peace if possible; truth at all costs.” (In other words, never elevate unity above truth. Unity void of truth has nothing to do with biblical unity, but rather is mere uniformity. I have even seen churches fall into this trap.)
And most are familiar with this quote by George Orwell:
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”
Finally, Gandalf encouraged Pippin (from The Lord of the Rings),
“Courage will now be your best defense against the storm that is at hand.”
Don’t ever fear bullies. Stand courageously and boldly.
I’ll gladly lead the way. nw
WHAT YOUR BIOLOGY TEACHER DIDN’T TELL YOU ABOUT DARWIN
Darwin had a lot to say about the origin of species, but nothing to offer regarding the origin of life. Yet, that doesn’t stop people from setting him up as the stalwart bastion of all-things-biology. I recently re-read an article I have in my files titled, What your biology teacher didn’t tell you about Charles Darwin. It’s excellent. You can read the article here.
QUOTE of the WEEK
Oh, I love this quote. Sola Gratia! Sola Fide! Solus Christus!
“Whatever keeps me from my Bible is my enemy, however harmless it may appear to be.” – A.W. Tozer
LAUGHTER IS GOOD MEDICINE
SOUL FOOD: The Basics of Life
This week’s ‘blog’ is in the form of a classic music video: “The Basics of Life’ by 4 Him. A former student of mine (from the mid 90’s!) tagged me a couple of days ago in a social media post because one of our Dnow’s used this song and title as its theme. It appears those teens/now adults have never forgotten it. The song is one of my all-time favorites from the Christian music genre. My former student wrote, “Today this song is even more true, this world is changing and so full of craziness! This song has such a strong foundation meaning to me for so many reasons.” Enjoy, nw
Soli Deo Gloria, Nick